IN VITRO MATURATION (IVM)
Eggs are collected few days after onset of menstruation without stimulation or after minimal stimulation for 3 days. Eggs are matured in the lab for 1-2 days in a special medium.
After maturation, eggs are frozen for later use or fertilized with sperm using ICSI. The lining of the uterus is prepared and embryos are transferred into the uterus
Who should consider in vitro maturation?
- Young women diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Women with history of severe ovarian hypertstimulation syndrome
- Women with prior unsuccessful IVF cycles due to poor egg quality
- Women diagnosed with estrogen sensitive cancer e.g breast cancer and desire fertility preservation
- Some women diagnosed with premature ovarian dysfunction.
In select women, IVM cycles may yield pregnancy rates comparable to conventional IVF cycles.
Please feel free to contact us if you’d like to learn more about your In Vitro Maturation option at NYCIVF